September 12, 2016

La Parisienne à trois!

When I first arrived in Paris in September 2011 I decided I'd jump in the deep end and signed up for "La Parisienne" straight away. I figured a race specifically for women through the center of Paris was just the ticket to begin my new adventure with a blast.

It has been my "rentrée" event for the past six years. With 37,000 runners in the 2016 edition, "La Parisienne" is now the biggest race for women in the world and I'm in the thick of it...

... only this year I didn't run the 6.6. km by myself. We were three ladies in pink waiting nearly two hours for our turn to start the race at the foot of the Eiffel Tower in a festive and joyful atmosphere. That, of course, allowed for endless opportunity to catch up. One of the girls had travelled all the way from Germany to participate!

This year - due to security reason - the route, lined with over 600 musicians, was altered and we ended up running alongside the banks of the Seine which was a welcome change given the open space, fresh breeze, picturesque surroundings and historic landmarks on either sides of the river.

I could have run faster but we were a team and crossing the finish line arm in arm with a big smile on our face made us feel like we had just run an entire marathon.

It still feels as gooooooood as it did when I ran this race the first time five years ago. No, actually, it feels better because I got to share the victory with my girlfriends!


 Here we go again... La Parisienne 2016


Picking up my number and pink t-shirt the day before the race


Sunday morning and the sun has disappeared...


... but where did the palm trees come from?!?


This year's theme was "Carnaval"


My shoes are the same colour as this year's official race t-shirt


Waiting to start...


... chitter chatter all over ...


... more waiting on the Pont d'Iena ...


... nearly at the starting block ...


... the first 100 meters into the race.


One of the many music groups: guess where they're from?


Running down one side of the Seine ... 


... and up the other!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...