August 31, 2016

Still exploring Paris ...

3, 2, 1 ... Gooooooo! A new school year is kicking off today and I have just arrived from our summer base in Madrid to Paris by car. Yes, that would be 1052 km! Apart from endless hours of driving through open Spanish and French plains it gives me plenty of time to think. To contemplate on the summer gone by, the kids growing up, the year ahead and the cycle of expatriation.

Heading into our 6th year in Paris, I have come to terms with the idea that our travelling days are over. You might think: Paris is not a bad place to call home... true... and I am certainly not complaining, on the contrary I love the hustle and bustle of this city.

It's just, once an expat always an expat and it is hard to ignore that itchy feeling that creeps up during the third or fourth year which makes you want to sniff some adventurous unfamiliar breeze coming your way.

Well, it's not happening. At the kids' school I am practically part of the furniture and happy to give all the newcomers a helping hand. As for the rest of Parisian life, I have carved myself a little space in the city of lights and filled it with local friends, favourite bistrots, routine sports activities, secret getaways and a whole load of time for exploring... because no matter how long you live in Paris, there if always something new to discover.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...