November 28, 2012

French bureaucracy

French bureaucracy. Do I need to say more?

I do not know if French or Italian is worse. What rubs me the wrong way is the attitude of the administrative officers. So, yes, you're not the most ambitious person but a little positivity wouldn't hurt, would it? Admittedly these public workers have to put up with all sorts of rubbish but then so do we certificate /permission /authorization seekers! Ever tried to convert a foreign licence plate into an Italian one or swap your driver's permit for a French one? Personal experience has shown me that it is easier to obtain an Argentinean residency permit or a Spanish driver's licence than either of these documents in France or Italy.

Twenty years ago these two nations might have had the excuse of lacking the necessary technology but, hey, has anybody told them to take a look into today's banking world. There is all kinds of personal info flying around there! Especially on the Italians at the moment. Why can't they apply the digital data sourcing to public offices? Life could be so much easier for everybody.

Meanwhile I'm standing in line waiting to be told by an African French what documents I am missing to convert my driver's licence while all the other people are stretching their necks to spot the country of origin on my document. Oh, did I forget to mention that I am the only white person queuing!?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...