May 31, 2012

A walk under coloured circles

Monumenta was the theme today. My friends and I were wondering WHAT exactly Monumenta was? 

MONUMENTA is an ambitious artistic encounter unmatched anywhere in the world, organized by the French Ministry of Culture and Communication. Each year MONUMENTA invites an internationally renowned contemporary artist to appropriate the 13,500 m² of the Grand Palais Nave with an artwork specially created for the event.

This year the artist Daniel Buren took up the challenge of filling the Grand Palais. I didn't really bother to grasp the concept but just let the colours and light flow over me. What hit me first was the heat. We walked in from a rather frisky morning breeze into a soothing, calm static heat. I love heat! Therefore I happily strolled under the big rings of coloured plastic in search of some good shots.


I wonder how Mr.Buren managed to colour the cupola with a chequerboard pattern of filters, placed at the highest point in the space, on the skylight itself, more than 35 metres in the air?


We entered a “forest” of vertical black and white posts formed by the legs supporting the coloured circles.


The coloured circles really came into effect when the sun started shining through the roof. The kids would love this. Meanwhile I am shooting my photos listening to the loudspeakers say blue, green, orange, yellow, white, black in fourty (!) different languages. No, I don't understand 40 different languages, I just read it somewhere.


I'm off looking for some more good shots! Keep in mind I am NO photographer.






View from the top. Might this be is the best point of view for seeing the exhibition?



This picture below - I have decided - is my best shot for today



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...